Once a stage coach stop known as Hughes Meadows the property allowed a short respite for horses and wagons before crossing over the Continental Divide.
The first cabin was built after the creation of the dam which was started in 1929 and finished in 1930 by Ed Fikany, Sr.
Big Cozy was erected in 1934 - built by "Jumbo" who worked for the Fikanys at their Green Parrot Bar in Buena Vista.
The resort was acquired in the 60's by the current owners who expanded the resort by adding the west end cabins and the lake lodge. More recent additions include the Mountain Lodge built in 2007, and the acquisitions of the three mountain side homes.